Glenasmole National School was built in 1958 and opened its doors to pupils on 7th January 1959. It was built on the site of an existing boys’ school which had been in operation since 1864. This school amalgamated with the girls’ school, which dated from 1856 (the building is now the home of the McCarthy family). Each of the schools had two teachers – a Principal and an assistant.
The old schools had been set up under the National Schools system and the patron for both was Charles Cobbe, who lived in Newbridge House, Donabate, and also owned Glenasmole Lodge, still known locally as Cobbe’s Lodge, and extensive tracts of lands in this area.